Search

Port of Riga over nine Centuries - XIX-th Century

As a result of the grandiose railway, dam and bridge construction, the significance of Riga increased.

The beginning of the new century saw new problems: navigation in the Port of Riga became critical due to the silting of fairways. The external trade of the city became completely dependent on dredging. It was mainly financed by traders or the Riga Exchange Committee. The excavation works profited from the ideas of the most progressive-minded engineers and the most advanced techniques at the time. In 1830, the first steamer Oskar called at the Port of Riga. In 1850, the construction of the Eastern Pier was launched. Between 1881 and 1885, the Western Pier was built and the Riga Sea Gate acquired its present appearance. In 1852, the telegraph line Riga-Bolderaja was opened. In 1861, a gas-operated lighthouse was lighted on the Eastern Pier and the Riga-Daugavpils railway was opened; in 1871, the Riga–Tsaricino railway and the railway bridge across the River Daugava were also opened. Riga was linked to Russian markets and sources of raw materials. In 1877, the Port of Riga acquired its first icebreaker. In 1894, an elevator and a railway leading to the elevator were opened in Andrejosta. On 31 May 1898, the expanded borders of the port were approved.